2013 General Meeting

Annual General Meeting

Saturday, January 12, 2013

 

Toronto International Boat Show

Minutes

Attendees:  Larry Beneway (President), Mike Campbell (V. President), Andrew Sensicle (Sec/Tres), Brian Thomson (Chief Handicapper), Adam Farkas (Asst. Chief), Bill Visser (EYC Dist Chief), Alison Jones (GHPRF Dist Chief), Larry Sill (RDPHRF Dist Chief), Owen Schnieder (TORE Dist Chief), John Crawley (TORW Dist Chief), 35 Handicappers, 6 guests.

  1. Meeting was called to order at 10:12 am
  2. Motion to accept minutes from January 14, 2012 AGM. Bill Visser/Alison Jones. Carried.
  3. REPORTS

3.1.Reports from executive:

Larry Beneway ( President ) - introduced Mike Campbell who volunteered after the last AGM to step into the position of VP.

Mike Campbell (Interim VP) – focus will be on training for handicappers. This year we will have 2 training seminar, one at Port Credit YC and the other at Genesee YC. Looking for feedback on subjects that you are interested in so please send thoughts to the Admin via email.

Andrew Sensicle (Sec/Tres) – reported that the finances are in fine shape and will be reviewed later on agenda.

Brian Thomson (Chief Handicapper) - last year we implemented a new NFS system due to many of our FS & NFS ratings getting too close together. US sailing was asked to do a project to find a delta which we could use. We had some problems with this and tried to resolve the issues at 4 different meetings. Personally wants to apologize for the heat our handicappers took due to our mistake. For this year, we will also be looking at dispute resolution process and threats to handicappers. We have also made an adjustment to hull speed formula in our propulsion table and manual. For the future, we will continue to look at single digit adjustment, implement changes to our spinnaker area adjustments, welcome Brian Chapman as a new member to the TAC to help with our future initiatives.

Bob Porter (Asst Chief)  - via Brian T. reported that as a member of US sailing he recently gave a presentation to US Sailing member on TOT vs TOD using our TOT number. There are still many PHRF regions using TOD.

Adam Farkas (Asst. Chief) – will focus on handicap adjustments based on sail area for both spinnaker and jib. Would also like to use US sailing’s free VPP to see fairness against different sail configurations and for new boats to the lake.

3.2. Reports from the District Chiefs:

Bill Visser (Eastern) – reported that region keeps growing and going further down St. Lawrence. Otherwise, there is not much happening to report.

Alison Jones (Golden Horseshoe) – reported that they are pleased to see that boats will no longer need to be declared “mod” due to boats switching to asym & bowsprit. There were no appeals, not much to report within the district.

Larry Sill (Rochester) – reported having one meeting where they rated 4 boats.  Otherwise all was quiet.

Andrews Hooker (South Shore) – NA

Owen Schneider (Interim - Toronto East) – Since he was recently appointed there has been no meeting yet. There are 6 or 7 boats to rate and will be setting up a district meeting before the next Central Council meeting.

John Crawley (Toronto West) – reported that they had 3 meeting, 13 new boats, 8 mods and one appeal which was denied.

4. Business:

4.1. 2012 Financial Review – Andrew Sensicle
Overall there was a net $2,000 income more than budgeted as per item 4, with a bottom line as expected.  Motion to accept. Andrew S/Denis Champagne. Carried.

4.2. 2013 Budget Proposal & Membership fee review – Andrew Sensicle
Projecting a net loss of $3,000 more than last year. Increase in travel due to additional meetings and salaries due to projects.
Q. How are we going to continue to fund these projects?
A. We had a reserve fund which we no longer need.
Q. Would we be better to increase the fee a small amount?
Motion to increase the fee by $2.00. Rob Lenters/Owen Schneider.
Friendly amendment: to increase fee by $5.00 to appear on the 2014 invoice. Clubs to be notified to begin collect new fee for 2013. Alison Jones/Larry Beneway. Carried.

4.3. Member Review and acceptance – Larry Beneway

NEW – Club Nautique de Baie-Comeau, Baie-Comeau, Qc

Kempenfelt Bay Yacht Club, Barrie, Ont
Motion to accept clubs. Owen Schnieder/ Dennis Champagne.  Carried.

REINSTATE – None

DROP – None

5. NEW BUSINESS

5.1. Handicapping Changes for 2013
Adam Farkas explained that we came across anomalies with our rating adjustments with the use of I vs ISP. The principal is to correct but not affect the asp’s of the class boat. Central Council will review all the issues that arise out of this change. Looking at other rules influenced the project to deal with the different spinnaker configurations.

5.2. Handicapping Changes for 2014
Adam Farkas explained that the second phase of the spinnaker study will be to use sail area instead of G% in our formula and adjustments.

5.3. Bylaw Change (Threats to Handicappers)
Larry Beneway withdrew the proposed bylaws change due to consensus of room.
However, Larry is asking for suggestions to be emailed to him. There was a suggestion that this be discussed at next District meeting.

5.4. Spring Training Seminars – Mike Campbell re-iterated that the training sessions will now focus on training the handicapper. We will require volunteer host clubs.
2013 – March 23, 2013 – Port Credit Yacht Club (TORW)
          - April 6, 2013 – Genesee Yacht Club (RDPHRF)
2014 – March ? – Host club requested from EYC District
         -  March 29 – Host club requested from SSYRA District
2015 – Date TBD – Host club requested from GHPHRF District
         -  Date TBD – Whitby Yacht Club (TORE)

5.5. TAC – Technical Advisory Committee  – Brian Thomson
Brian Chapman was introduced as a valued addition to the TAC.

6. Nominations/Election of Officers – All positions are open for nominations.

Vice President’s Position – Mike Campbell (formal acceptance required.

All other Executives are willing to stand for 2013. Carried.

7. Next Meeting: First day of Boat show: January 11, 2014, 10:00 am– Toronto International Boat Show (Direct Energy Centre, Exhibition Place, Toronto)

8. Adjournment 11:30

9. Training / Information Seminar

9.1. Sail Area Changes for 2013 & 2014 – Adam Farkas


Meeting Calendar

loader

Next Meeting

17Nov
11.17.2018 9:00 am - 11:00 am
Executive Meeting
17Nov
11.17.2018 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Central Council Meeting - Fall