March 2016

Central Council Conference Call
Via: SKYPE

March 30, 2016

Minutes

 


 

1)     Meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm

2)     Motion to approve Minutes from February 27, 2016. M/S Jamie/Sue. Carried.

3)    Spring Training Seminar - review of outline & responsibilities with Bill Topping.

Discussion only to finalize outline, responsibilities & sails to be measured.

4)   Cut off Dates for changes

Concerns were raised that we were making "late in season" changes to our Handicapping Rules, Formulas & Ratings. In fairness to certificate holders & sail makers, the following modifications will be included in our Handicappers Manual being released for the 2016 season.

a) Handicapping Rules & Formula changes.

Motion: Add the following statements to Part I of the Handicappers Manual immediately, M/S. Jamie/Sue. Carried.

Effective starting at the 2017 AGM.
Handicapping Changes. that affect PART II of the Handicappers Manual, will be ready for presentation at the Annual Meeting, the year previous to when the changes take effect. With a "draft" PART II available for viewing by Sept 1st of the previous year.

NOTE: Exceptions will be made for minor housekeeping corrections.

b) Class SP Handicaps - Brian Thomson

Motion: add the following statements to Part I of the Handicappers Manual, effective immediately. M/S. Jamie/Owen. Carried.

Standard Class SP handicap changes, made by Central Council, will be completed by no later than April 1st of the current year for the coming season.

 

5)    Handicapping items:

a) SPINNAKER:

15% sprit allowance & +6 Centerline adjustment.
Adam Farkas raised concern that the 15% (CL Fixed) sprit tollerance for Non-Centerline classes should not be awarded the +6 Centerline credit and that the 15% allowance may be overly generous.

Motion: Approved $300 expenditure for Adam to collect ORC certificates for up to 30 boat variations for a study. M/S. Jamie/John. Carried.

Action 1: John Crawley will also try obtain information for this study.

Action 2: Districts will be asked to give input for consideration.

Action 3: Tabled for November meeting.
Central Council will need to review the results of the Study. This will be put on the agenda for review at our November meeting, as this type of change could not be presented until the 2017 AGM and would take effect in the 2018 racing season.

 

b) MAINSAIL:

MHW - Mainsail Head Width - missing and/or omitted measurement on certificates.

The admin office reported that we currently have many certificates with missing or erroneous information listed for some of the Mainsail measurements. This included reported zero(0) length HeadWidth (HW) values. It was generally agreed that no sail has a HW = 0.

Considering these errors were impacting the new sail area calculations, we needed to address them.

Motion: A list of offending certificates will be published and these boats will be defaulted to 100% Main area and the Certificate will be marked as "Unmeasured Mainsail".
M/S. Adam/Jamie. Carried.

Amendment (April 8, 2016): The following amendment was voted on via the PHRF-LO Central Council forum.

Motion: A list of offending certificates will be published and these boats will be defaulted to 100% Main area and the Certificate will be marked as "Unmeasured Mainsail" for sails smaller than Standard. All others will be addressed individually with the Handicapper and Owner.

ONE DESIGN - Adjustment for the new formula & small Main credit have affected some of our recognized One Design classes:

Motion: Adjust the SP by the amount of change, rounded to 3 sec/nm.
M/S. John/Adam. Carried.

  • FARR 30 (MUMM) = was (-3) 106.0%, now (-4) 106.6% (No Change)
  • FARR 40 = was (-3) 105.3%, now (-4) 106.2% (No Change)
  • FLYING TIGER = was (-3) 106.00%, now (-4) 106.4% (No Change)
  • J 105 = was (0) 96.7%, now (+5) 97.5% (Adjust SP -6)
    April 2016 - Reversed - Main = 99.9% with corrected MGM for J 105 Class.
  • J 22 = was (-1) 103.4%, now (-2) 104.4% (No Change)
  • J 24 = no rating change (No Change)
  • MELGES 24 CF = was (-5) 108.0%, now (-4) 106.5% (No Change)
  • MELGES 32 = was (-4) 106.7%, now (-5) 107.4% (No Change)
  • SONAR = no rating change (No Change)
  • ULTIMATE 20 = no rating change (No Change)

c) Jib:

HHW - Non compliant certificates (98 in total)

The Admin office reported that we still have boats/certificates that have neglected to report the Jib HHW, when they currently have a Jib LP <115%.

Motion: Certificates will be marked as "Incomplete" until the missing information has been submitted. Handicappers will be notified, as they will not be able to renew these.
M/S. Fran/Sue. Carried.

One design classes still missing HHW - Flying Tiger, J 105, J 22, Melges 24 CF, Melges 32

Action: John Crawley will attempt to obtain the information.

d) Multiple Certificates or additional Column
Concern was raised that we may be, inadvertently, creating an issue for our Certificate Holders by restricting them to a single Spinnaker configuration.
For some racers, being able to race under different sail configurations (Symmetrical with a pole vs Asymmetrical on a Sprit) would allow them to compete in different types of racing.

Action: Tabled for November meeting.
More discussion and review will be required. This will be put on the agenda for review at our November meeting, as this type of change could not be presented until the 2017 AGM and would take effect in the 2018 racing season.

 

 

 

6)      Adjournment at 9:30 pm.

Next CC meetings:

Fall Meeting: November 19, 2016

Winter Meeting: February 25, 2017 (tentative)


Meeting Calendar

loader

Next Meeting

13Jan
01.13.2018 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
Annual Meeting
24Feb
02.24.2018 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Winter Central Council meeting
24Mar
03.24.2018 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Spring Training Seminar
25Mar
03.25.2018 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Spring Central Council meeting