PHRF Lake Ontario

Serving the sport of sailing for over 25 years

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

2016 General Meeting

E-mail Print PDF

Annual General Meeting

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Direct Energy Center
Toronto International Boat Show

Minutes


Attendees: Mike Campbell (Pres), Bill Topping (V. Pres), Andrew Sensicle (Sec/Tres), Brian Thomson (Chief Handicapper), Adam Farkas (Asst. Chief), Diana Riley (Exec. Assist) and 34 handicappers & guests.

  1. Meeting was called to order at 10.08 am.
  2. Motion to accept minutes from January 10, 2015 AGM . M/S. Rob Lenters/Owen Schneider. Carried
  3. REPORTS

3.1 Reports from executive:

Mike Campbell (President ) – Chair

Succession planning is needed for the Executive and Central Council. Help is needed with volunteer positions on Executive. Anyone with any desire to join the Executive are asked to please contact us.

We are also looking for people to handle our social media extension. Anyone with good knowledge of Facebook, Twitter etc, who would like to help, please contact us.

Central Council is also looking for help with projects.

Bill Topping (Vice President)

Simple reminder that the Spring Training Seminar will be held at the Youngstown Yacht Club on April 2 at 10:00 am. We are expanding our program and welcome any suggestions on what you would like to see.

Suggestion from the floor: Moving the workshop earlier, maybe 2 weeks, would be better as the timing of this interferes with readying the boats. This will be considered.

Andrew Sensicle (Sec/Tres)

Reported that the organization is in good financial state.

Brian Thomson (Chief Handicapper)

Thanks to everyone for all the efforts towards getting everything done this past year. We have been busy with 1602 active cert and 156 new certs.

We continue to make corrections to our database like J, JSP etc to ensure everyone is getting the correct rating. Access to the handicapper’s worksheet helps simplify the work. Using true sail area to calculate sail sizes and adjustments is a great improvement.

We are hoping to get a study done on keel drag and rudders.

Jamie Dike (Asst Chief – Non-GTA) - na

Adam Farkas (Asst. Chief. - GTA)

This year saw a lot of changes in sail area and adjustments and it is time to sit back and see how these changes impact our observed performance.

Personal project will include looking at standard boats and the impact of the sail adjustments to arrive at an equitable ASP. Particularly the one design classes.

3.2 Reports from the District Chiefs:

Bill Visser (Eastern)

Nothing to report. The year was pleasant and exciting.

Sue Sproule (Golden Horseshoe)

Held 2 meetings, winter & spring, in which we covered 1 appeal, 2 new boat classes. Racing is active in the golden horseshoe.

Frances Doyle - (Rochester)

As it was with EYC District, the year was exciting. Held a couple of meetings covering an appeal and new rating and working on getting the Fairhaven YC to rejoin.

Larry Huibers (South Shore) na

Owen Schneider (Toronto East)

Held one meeting with very little issues. Rated fewer than 5 boats. Only exciting thing to happen was setting up the Toronto east long distance race in conjunction with the Toronto West region..

John Crawley (Toronto West)

Huge area but few handicappers attending meetings. All in all there were 7 new boats, 1 rating change. One on forum. Set record for fastest rating on a class Open 60 at an SP of (-125)

4.  BUSINESS

4.1. 2015 Financial Review – Andrew Sensicle

See attached.
No questions came from the floor.
Motion to accept the Financial review as presented. M/S. Andrew/Owen. Carried

4.2. 2016 Budget Proposal & Membership fee review – Andrew Sensicle

Andrew explained the issue we are facing with the HST. A Non-profit organization must register for HST once they reach $50,000 in income.

We will be looking into HST requirements from an expert and will advise our members once we sure.

Motion to approve the budget as presented. M/S Andrew S/Dave Robinson. Carried.

4.3. Member Review and acceptance – Mike Campbell

NEW – None

REINSTATE – None

DROP – Kempenfelt Bay YC

5. NEW BUSINESS

5.1. Handicapping Changes for 2016 – Adam Farkas

Some of the items reviewed are:

HEADSAIL- when trimmed in front of spreaders or 115% or smaller, require the Headsail Half Width (HHW). LP = HHW * 2

MAINSAIL – we developed a new formula to measure the sail area against the standard sail area. Introduction of credits for smaller mains. Up to 103% no penalty. Definition of HB is now HW which is a projected HW. Do not measure luff and foot of mainsail.

SPINNAKER– new formula. Some different area calculations are out there but this is closer to sail maker’s formula. Standard spinnaker converted to centerline will be given a 15% non-penalty allowance. The centerline credit will be reviewed by cc for these boats. Correction to excess pole length on small spinnakers was done late in season.

Other items being done include:

  • Looking at adding a girth measurement on the mainsail.
  • Project to compare irc races vs phrf tot.
  • Looking at sport boats again.
  • Looking at having a LYRA commodore’s cup race with IRC group.
  • Request from attendees: to look into point to point ratings.

5.2. Spring Training Seminars – Bill Topping

2016 – April 2 – Youngstown Yacht Club

2017 - March 25 - Host Club Requested (Eastern or Rochester District)

Bill Visser will look into Colins Bay as host.

5.3. Minimum number of Certificates - Mike Campbell

The Bylaws will be revised over 2016 for presentation at the 2017 meeting.

Our membership policy will include a minimum number of certificates in order to be a PHRF-LO member.

Small clubs will be encouraged to either ask a member club to act as “Ambassador” to obtain certificates or apply for non-member certificates.

Move to accept. M/S. Rob Lenters/Dave Robinson. Carried.

5.5. Novice Division Promotion - Diana Riley

A paper was distributed outlining a proposal to support Novice divisions at the club level.  This was welcomed by at least one club from the floor.

Details on how to administer this will need to be finalized by the Executive Committee.

Motion to table this item. M/S Bill Visser/Owen S. Carried.

6. Nominations/Election of Officers – All positions are open for nominations.

No resignations have been offered

Secretary/Treasurer: Currently looking for nomination.

Move to accept current exec. M/S. Dave Robinson/Owen S. Carried.

7. Next Meeting: First Saturday of Boat show: January 14, 2017, January 21, 2017,10:00 am– Toronto International Boat Show (Direct Energy Centre, Exhibition Place, Toronto)

A request that we consider looking into moving our meeting to be user friendly with the OSA. This will be considered.

8. Adjournment 11:45

Last Updated on Thursday, 11 August 2016 10:14  

Meeting Calendar

Last month March 2017 Next month
S M T W T F S
week 9 1 2 3 4
week 10 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
week 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
week 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
week 13 26 27 28 29 30 31