1) Call to order:
(Alison - canvass District Chiefs on Club racing)
2) Approval of Minutes from Central Council - March 2023 - Zoom
3) Class Reviews:
- Class Rating Reviews during racing season
a) Gaft Rigged Boat - RDPHRF - Fran & District need guidance.
b) Irwin 35.5 CIT - New Rating - SSYRA no district Chief.
- Cannot find any information on this class - SBD or US Sailing or On-line
- Vote was a bunch of email about with opinions on rating. No vote
a) C&C 30 SD - Livianna Tossutti & Pawel Cimek (MCC) would like a rating review by CC, as they grieve the decision by TORW to deny their appeal
TORW - recommended CC to review the 2 Keel designs as part of the Keel Project.
Appeal states SD version is 600lbs heavier and draft is 4' 2" versus the standard class draft of 5'.
b) Beneteau Oceanis 41 - appeal - SSYRA
- Appeal was reviewed by SSYRA but unclear minutes and unresolved issues remained.
- Owner had not renewed certificate until recently
- Need to review the standard dims as some alterations may affect handicap.
- Need to review intent of SSYRA for clarity as references made to ASP not SP changes.
- Andy resigned as Dist Chief, Owen stepping in as temp rep.
- Other Class items
- Spinnakers added to Jib only class boats. - Star Cert #7405
- Aloha 27 class - SAME AS Aloha 8.2, recommend delete class and move 2 boats (exp 2019) to Aloha 8.2 (renamed Aloha 27/8.2) both versions. US Sailing recognizes as same. Diana Riley
- Bavaria 32 & 33 - Classes need reviewed. US Sailing recognizes two classes. Diana Riley
- C&C 30 - keel designations
- C&C 37 - Discussion - John Crawley offering to measure draft of boats in database. As we have conflicting measurements in database.
4) Handicapping items:
No changes or reviews
d) Issuing FS handicaps to Non-FS rigged boats - Bill Visser per EYC NOV. 2020.
(Item followup missed from Central Council Nov 2020 - Zoom Conference)
Owner has now received a PHRF-LO Certificate #7105.
Bill Visser notes:
History: Competitor has STAR and wants to play with FS boats because, well, he feels he can. He is not allowed, since the STAR only has NSF rating. His solution? Retrofit spinnaker gear onto STAR and say “here is my spinnaker! Rate me please”. Since NFS-SP is based on FS-SP, the system did calculate out a FS-ASP. However, since he put a minimal rig on (dinghy rig?) to measure in, although I suspect he will never use it since he still can clean everyone else’s clocks, he ended up with a really gifted rating. Hence, current conversations.
e) For Discussion - Issue with NFS - Delta
Specifically the use of JSP & ISP
5) Other items:
- Validity of ratings when racing <5, >20 knts
6) Projects and Initiatives:
- Budget Review for Projects - for Executive (Max 30 min)
Next CC meetings:
3rd Saturday in February